- Registration of birth of a child under the Sri Lanka Births and Deaths Registration Ordinance must under normal circumstances be made within three months of the birth.
- However, if a child of a citizen of Sri Lanka is born abroad, there is an additional requirement under the Citizenship Act that such birth should be registered within one year at the Diplomatic Representation of Sri Lanka in the country of birth.
Registration of births of children born outside Sri Lanka
- The Birth Certificate issued by the Competent Authority in the country of the birth of the child.
- Birth Certificate of the applicant (father or mother)
- If the applicant is a Sri Lankan citizen by registration, the relevant certificate and Marriage Certificate of the parents
- 04 nos. photographs of the child (size 3.0 cm x 3.5 cm)
- Explanation letter for not registering the birth of the child within the stipulated time, if the registration is not done within 03 months of the birth.
- Form I: Ceylon Citizenship Act No. 18 of 1948 in duplicate (Please get a photocopy of the original form.)
- Form II: Declaration of Birth under Section 16 (this form is required when registration is done within 03 months of the birth of the child.)
- Form III: Declaration of birth under Section 24 in duplicate (this form is required only when registration is done after 03 months of the birth of child.)
- Declaration of Citizenship by father of the child
(If the father lives in Sri Lanka the declaration should be signed before the Grama Niladhari and should be endorsed by the Consular Division of the Foreign Ministry, Colombo. If the father lives in other countries the declaration must be made at the Sri Lanka Mission in that country if available)